Up until yesterday, I was really feeling great with this pregnancy. I was sleeping okay, I had some energy left, and I wasn't too hot yet (key word yet). Then yesterday came, it got so humid and hot. We had a huge thunder storm come through, that left great puddles for the boys to play in and it cooled off a little bit, and then the sun came out again and cooling off was hopeless. Being pregnant it is already hard to stay cool, but humidity adds a whole new dimension to being hot. Growing up in AZ, I never quite understood the "but it is a dry heat" concept, but now it is crystal clear. I would give anything for a "dry heat". Needless to say as a result of this new found discomfort, I have not been so great at pulling out my camera to take pictures or doing as much with the boys. 6 weeks to go and counting!!
Sunday, June 1, 2008
Humidity takes it out of you, the zoo, and bugs!
Friday we did make it to the zoo again, which was a lot of fun, but I didn't take any pics. Sorry, I had the camera too and just didn't have the energy to fight the boys and make them both stand still and look at me long enough to take any pictures. However, we did see the komodo dragon up close and personal, pet goats, and Goose growled at the lions. It was a fun trip.
On Wednesday, preschool was cancled because of sick kids, so I took the boys into DC to visit Maverick at work and then we went to the Natural History Museum. After seeing the dinos and animals, we went to the insect zoo (which we had never done before and was by far the coolest part of the museum). I was expecting dead bugs pinned on displays. Oh no, they were huge and alive!! There were even some scientists out with bugs for the kids to hold. I did get pics of this. Iceman tried to convince me to hold the bugs too, I had no problem telling him no thanks, but he sure had fun holding them. The first picture is of a Madagascar Hissing Beetle. It was as long as the width of the palm of Iceman's hand. Iceman said it tickled when he held it. The second picture is of a huge grasshopper, I am not sure what kind it is, but Iceman said this one felt sticky. 
Posted by out numbered at 2:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I can't believe you let him hold the bugs...I don't think I could have braved that exhibit! Lately the A/C has been my best friend, I don't know how I'm going to survive the Summer!! Customers I've talked to over the phone at work that find out I'm pregnant ask me if I'm crazy..."don't you know pregnancy in the summertime is horrible...what were you thinking??" is what I get most of the time. It just makes me laugh! Anyway, good luck staying cool!! Wish I could come see you with the rest of the family. Love ya'!!
Your son had the same face I would have. I hate bugs. Looks like you guys are having a fun time in D.C. Maybe we can come and visit sometime.
Iceman has guts!! Just looking at those pictures gives me the heeby geebys (sp)...love the pictures and sorry it's so humid :( only 5 weeks!?!? right?
Yucky humidity! Sorry you feel so crappy, but at least you'll be done soon! Also...I hate bugs. I'm glad I'm not the only mom that won't play with them!
Those bugs are so nasty. I always hate it when they have the bugs out cause it just makes me cringe. I can't stand creepy crawly things. Gross!!!! I'm with you on the humidity thing. I can't stand it. The only nice difference from AZ is at least you know there is an end to the miserable heat where in AZ there is no end. But I would love to have the dry heat.
Wow, that was cool. I would probably not be brave enough to hold bugs, either. I think it would still be fun to let Aiko do it if she wanted to. That looks neat.
Yeah, about that whole 'dry heat' thing. Boy, am I ever grateful for it. Sure, we get humidity here but not nearly as bad as some places (like where you live!). I remember going to a family reunion in OK one year when I was in high school. We lived in NV (dry heat) and I didn't really think anything of the humidity prior to us getting there. When I went to dress for the day of the reunion...my make-up was melting off my face and my clothes stuck to me. Bleh!
I hope these 6 weeks pass quickly for you!!! I'm so excited for you all!
I can't believe how quickly the weather turned on us. One minute it was beautiful and 70 degrees, and now it's unbearable.
Post a Comment