Tuesday, February 19, 2008

National Aquarium

Earlier this month, we took the boys to the National Aquarium in DC, there is also one in Baltimore, that is alot more expensive and I believe bigger. The website said sharks, alligators, and 70 tanks of fish and underwater creatures. Cool right? Well, Goose and Iceman really had a lot of fun. Maverick and I were a little disappointed. I think we were expecting a Smithsonian Museum (this aquarium is not a Smithsonian) or a mini Sea World (well the shark tank anyway). They did have the sharks and alligators all of which were 2 feet long or smaller. The tanks did have a variety of fish that were fun to see, but it reminded me of the fish section at a Petco. Needless to say we paid $5 an adult and $2.50 for Iceman. So for $12.50 we went to a glorified pet store. The boys did have fun looking at all the animals, which did make it worth it, but we wanted to see big alligators!

Here are a couple of pictures of the boys looking at a tank of Tropical Fish. Goose really liked these fish.
Here is the biggest shark that was in the tank. You can see it just to the left of Iceman's head. It was the only one that was actually swimming around of the 8 or so that were in the tank.
Maverick and Iceman looking for a Salamandor. All of the tanks were too high for Iceman to look into, so we had to lift him to see all of the different sea creatures.
And last but not least the Alligators. They were named Crunchy and Munchy.

6 comments:

Michelle Johnston said...

Awesome! I love aquariums:) The Omaha zoo has an over head HUGE shark tank that we love to take the kids to. If you ever come visit us here in Kansas (maybe if you ever have to drive home for something:) we can take you up there. I love all the fun things you guys get to do. What a fun time of life!

grandma turner said...

Hey Turners, for just the price of some plane tickets I'll let you see my pirhana and Billy Bob Singing Bass. Now THAT's something you can't see in an aquarium every day...and it's free!

Jadi said...

We has a similar experience at the SLC Gateway aquarium. We paid money to get in and were expecting huge tanks but it ended up being similar to how you described the National Aquarium. Don't feel bad about not getting to see big alligators. I think I have a new fear of them now! However I am sure they are more fun to look at
behind a glass window or a cage.

The Parkers said...

I love Tre's "fish lips" in 2 of the pictures...looks like the boys still enjoyed it!! (hey when do you find out what you are having?)

Lisa Burbidge said...

Hey we went to Baltimore while we where there, and yes it is cool but way to much money!! I think I could see some of the same stuff at the Zoo right now!! It is Free too and it is not real busy so there are lot of helpers to talk to your kiddos and Stuart even got to help feed the octapus and the crabs he thought that was really cool. so if you want alligators and stuff check that one out it is right off the Metro too!!!!!!

glamma said...

Hey Deanna!

I never look at my blog, I am the worst blogster ever. But then I saw your comment and had to say hi! I saw Dawn at church the other day and she told me she was pregnate! That is so cool! I can't believe how fast your little family is growing! Are you loving the East Coast? I loved being in D.C. I have been there I think like four times for Police Week. I was going this year but Amber is having her baby that week...May 15th.
Take care!
Cathie Buckmister